Sunday, April 1, 2007

I hate being disabled

Really!

You'd think it is worthwhile, what with perks such as the prime parking spots, the ease of always having a chair with you, the ability to take my dog everywhere.

A lot of times, the hardest thing is you have to sit by, unable to help people you love. I would love to give my little sister a break and take their kids out or just watch them for half an hour by myself. I can't, though.

One sister did leave me in charge of two of her kids for a brief time once when my disease had progressed much less. Her daughter bounced into a wall while jumping on a bed, and her son wound up at the dentist because I had kneed him in the teeth (long story that really needs video to show that it totally wasn't my fault). That was my babysitting career.

I would like to be a big brother, especially now, because I really was kind of uncool to my sister when we were younger.

She seemed mostly to just mess things up. There was the time she and a friend destroyed an intricate city crafted in the sand box. Or the time my brother and I and a friend were sword-fighting with wiffle ball bats. Of course she had to join and we soon had to stop because she hurt her hand and our mom decided it was a dangerous activity.

We walked to school in those days and we made her walk last because she was the youngest. To be fair, though, we never threw our book bags down in front of her to trip her like some older brothers did to little sisters.

In high school, it was worse than just normal sibling stuff. I was an unpopular nerd, whose disability was just sprouting up. Making that worse: Along came my little sister who was popular and loved high school and did not have a disability. There were bound to be issues, and there were, mostly my fault. Her favorite story is how I yelled at her for putting the convertible top down on our car. I'm sorry, OK

I know that I am not worthless, that my words and presence do help people. But a wicked funny one-liner is not always much help. And I think how awesome it would be if I could not only tell a hilarious joke but also carry boxes when people move. Or take my nephews or nieces for ice cream. Or teach them how to sword-fight with wiffle bats.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do help me. You let my kids beep your horn constantly. You play with your phone with my son and let him prank call Grandpa Teddy. You play computer games (endlessly) with them both. Thank you for all that. And for helping me laugh when all I want to do is cry. PS...I forgive you about the convertible. :)
ejd

Anonymous said...

Also, I think that a wheel chair is ideally suited to teaching whiffle bat sword fighting, if you re-cast the contest as jousting.
xxoo
jtg
P.S. You and Em watched Cal once when she was a baby. You took her to the mall and people thought she was yours.

Anonymous said...

You've taught my kids a thing or two or three. I remember one vacation during which you entertained Brendan endlessly by having your computer talk. Matt and Brendan Rock as I recall. And I don't remember taking Steve to the dentist after that. I think I've left them with you other times too. Do you remember when we thought Sebastian was locked in my room and Debbie climbed through the window. I know I took a nap after that (or maybe it was a shower) and I left you to stay laert with Meg & Steve. They seem to have survived.
met

Matt said...

all three of you, whoa! OK, first: You may forgive me for the convertible but you'll totally bring it up again, I am sure. Second, I like playing the computer games -- I just wish someone would push different buttons once in a while. Thirs, I like the jousting idea. Fourth, I forget if it was Cal or ejd but one of them gave me a nasty stomach bug on that trip. Fifth, the talking computer ... that was good stuff. Sixth, you didn't take Stephen to the dentist, Debbie did the next day. Michael called the Ledger and said "So why are Stephen's teeth loose?"Seventh, I forgot about the Sebastian incident. Eighth, I love you all tons even if I can't be the most hands-on uncle, which after reading sounds like a good thing not to be.


Blog Archive