Thursday, April 12, 2007

Unsafe at any speed

I use two wheelchairs -- a power one and a manual one. They are way different from each other, but today I almost died in each one in a remarkably similar way.

I was walking Claren down the driveway at work. Walking down the driveway is really the only way to be sure I can avoid the goose poop, which often litters the sidewalk. I realize the damn geese aren't just a problem for those of us in wheelchairs, but getting poop on your shoes is one thing. Getting it on your wheelchair wheels, which touch your hands and sleeves, is nasty. Plus, walking people can watch where they step.

I was on the right side on the driveway in my manual chair when it happened. I yawned. Which means I closed my eyes. And also raised my hands to cover my mouth. When I opened my eyes again, I was on the left side of the driveway, having crossed when my eyes were shut.

Granted, no cars were nearby so that was a pansy cheating of death. My evening ride made up for it.

I was in my power chair walking down the street where I live and trying to see if this new building had a sign on it. Luckily, the building is across the street from a sidewalk that has a fence next to it.

So when I went off the sidewalk because I was looking at the building, I hit the fence instead of rolling, or should I say falling, down the steep hill.

It makes me feel good to know that which wheelchair I use won't factor in my death. I could die in either one.

No comments:


Blog Archive