Sunday, September 13, 2009

Social butterfly

It remains unclear whether I was the only one over 30 at a party I went to Saturday, but I am sure I am the only one who brought Mom's Congo cookies.
And of course I don't mean cookies made with Mom's recipe. I mean Congo cookies Mom actually baked for me. Well, she  and my nephew, who I am sure did all the hard parts like licking the beaters and taste testing.
I got to be a social butterfly Saturday, going to lunch with one friend and then to another's birthday party.
Both were fun. There were a few glitches with the party, but mostly amusing in retrospect, especially since my arms did not fall off.
I called from the main door into the complex and was sure she said she was in building 2023, which was way down a gently sloping hill. I was in my manual chair, so while the party girl offered to come looking for me, I went looking for her building. 
I admit that I got a little drunk on cascading down the parking lot, not realizing until I was almost at the end that she must have been in the main building where I was. The birthday girl and I talked again, she confirming that I now had to wheel back up that slope, which now looked about as gentle as Everest. 
Somehow I made it back up, even over the speed bumps, which weren't even noticeable as I went downhill. I turned onto the road the main building was on, and I saw two people. I had my hopes they were friends, but one had a really weird bun on the top of its head.
Thankfully, it was no mirage. The birthday girl, wearing a party hat with streamers, and another friend were at the main door so they came and helped me the rest of the way.
Apartments also do not have bathrooms wide enough for wheelchairs, but our wily birthday girl took me down to the public bathrooms by their gym. Very wide and wheelchair-friendly.
I also found out that Schoolhouse Rocks lies: Three isn't the magic number, it's 10. 
When we left for the bathroom, there were less than 10 people and I could follow conversations. When we got back, some other folks had arrived and I was lost. I felt like Matt Murdock when he can't control his super-hearing. Not that my hearing is at all super, but it was just too much. I could not hear anything. People kept coming over and chatting, though, so it was OK. Claren made it easier, too. As always she was a hit.
It was cool. In the end I guess it doesn't matter that someone asked about my Green Lantern shirt, and then asked if Green Lantern is a band or what. Or if I was the only one over 30.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

two events in one day! You go for it! By the way, I did not know about the Green Lantern and I am in my forties! And remember, there is NOTHING wrong with hanging out with younger women :-)

Matt said...

The education system is clearly in need of reform.


Blog Archive