Monday, September 7, 2009

Travels with Springsteen

I was listening to Blinded by the Light the other day and heard the line "And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune." I thought to myself: wow, that Bruce Springsteen cat is pretty awesome; I wonder how many different letters of the alphabet start place names?

I apparently have too much time on my hand. I wonder if Bruce would cover Rush's Xanadu?

Mary Queen of Arkansas
and Bronx's best apostle stands with his hand on his own hardware
To her Cheshire smile. I'll stand on file, she's all I ever wanted.
Driving in to Darlington County
Sparks fly on E Street when the boy prophets walk it handsome and hot
Now I hear she's got a house up in Fairview
Anybody wanna go on up to Greasy Lake
Uptown in Harlem she throw a rose to some lucky, young matador.
Through the small towns of Indiana the big train crept
Races Sundays in Jersey in a Chevy stock super eight
Parked making love with their babies out on the Kokomo
In a Camaro with this dude from L.A.
It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute
Chasin' all them silly New York girls
Runnin' home to some small Ohio town
I'm a sergeant out of Perrineville barracks number 8
Billy Sutter fought with Charlie Company In the highlands of Quang Tri
An ambulance finally came and took him to Riverside
And them South Side sisters sure look pretty
Meanwhile in South Texas in a dirty oil patch
On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
In the Valle de dos Rios, smell of mock orange filled the air.
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
X
Here darlin' in Youngstown
And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is ridiculously impressive!
mtc

Patrick said...

I think we're going to need: a Joad-like album about China; Xenia, Ohio, to move closer to the northeastern part of the state; or a Tracks II release of a Rising outtake about Camp X-Ray. He'd even have a decent plot on the latter...

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back to read this again. Very cool. -- Ellen

Matt said...

I want to be the first one to go to all the places.

And if only he had sung about the travails of Xenia, Ohio. I mean, you say where you are from and people say Xena, you're from the warrior princess? That can't be easy.

Anonymous said...

I am completely impressed! He is getting a Kennedy Center honor.sdt


Blog Archive