Saturday, September 5, 2009

Trike trouble

I have been hoping that my trike-riding would go better with my braces. Not to be all negative, but oh my god, it is bad.

I should have taken the hint when Mom could not even get my shoes on over the braces, but no. This morning I got Mom and my little sister to pound and shove my feet into the shoes.

At this point, my sister said, Now I know why you are always so pissed off; it is so hard to just put on your shoes.

Once I got on the trike, I realized that with my braces on I could not lock the shoes on to the pedals. Normally, I push forward and down by bending my ankle, but with braces I cannot bend my ankle down and pushing forward tends to rub my ankle bone painfully.

I eventually got the left one in, but to get the right one in I had to take the brace off, lock the shoe in, put the brace on and get Mom and sister to put the shoe back on.

I considered a napping in the trike because it had been so tiring just to get this far. But no, I set out around the block.

I guess I can't declare it a complete failure because maybe it will be better with shoes that fit and maybe if I get my wobbly knees taken care of, I will gain strength, but that ride around the block was pretty bad.

First off, the right brace rubs my ankle bone something fierce. I also had major trouble keeping rhythm riding. Usually I'd make a full revolution of my pedals, but the right one would not keep going and the left pedal would backpedal.

Things might get better as I learn to ride with the braces, but I am not super-hopeful. I'll just be pissed off.

No comments:


Blog Archive