Friday, November 6, 2009

Taking a lesson from the Psalms

I want to be cured. I don't care if there is medicine involved or a miracle. I am just tired of being in a wheelchair (and yes, I was tired of it yesterday, too, just too tire to write this).

The Psalms usually make me feel less alone because I can always find someone in there complaining to God in some pretty severe language. And they come up with such ingenious reasons for being cured or saved or whatever.

The writer of Psalm 13 wants to be healed so his enemies don't see his death as a divine judgment against him. In 64, the writer says that if the evil people are struck down, then everyone will believe in God.

The writers weren't afraid of asking for violence either, which cracks me up. I can't even get to an elevator before it closes, and these guys are asking God to make their enemies' "children fatherless ... vagrant beggars, driven from their hovels." Or they ask God to shoot arrows at their enemies or cut off deceitful lips.

And whenever I think I am getting too terse with God, there in the Bible, Psalm 102, verse 3: "Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly." Even if I hypothetically call God a "son of a bitch," I think I am more respectful than that. (Not that I call God a son of a bitch, I can't write what I call him.)

My one beef with the Psalms is that they usually let God off the hook at the end, saying something like "... but you Lord are great and know what is best so I will worship you."

I think if I wrote a Psalm, it would end "I don't at all get it, God. For someone who claims to be powerful and loving, you don't act like it."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Jim was sick, I appealed to God's vanity -- that so many people were watching, they would be awed and amazed by Jim's healing. Is that what did it? I'm not in any way sure, because have I not spent ages on my knees telling God the same thing about you and T. and S. and Jim's nephews and Diane?
Love always.
JTG

Matt said...

Oh, I already awe people. That would not work for me.

Anonymous said...

I am with you. My stupid sweating started a couple of days ago out of nowhere and today was absolutely horrible. And I am TICKED!
sdt

Matt said...

Ugggh. Sorry about the sweating. Dang.If it is not one thing ...


Blog Archive