Friday, January 1, 2010

A divine comedy

One of the last comments suggested that it is hard to think about me without thinking about God. I am not sure about anyone else, but I am thinking SITCOM!

We would be like the odd couple, with a touch of the divine. And God would add something, too. HEE.

For purposes of the show, God would be male, so I don't have to convince some Mr. Furley-type I am gay. Now that I think about it, though, that would be way too easy, given that I have never had a girlfriend. I'd just have to ditch the Natalie Portman screen saver.

It would be similar to any classic roommate comedy. God obviously would be Mr. Perfect. I would be me, the one with plenty of imperfections, both physical and spiritual. Here is a potential scene:

God: Hey [lightning crackles] Who spilled tea on my new Persian rug?
Matt: I did. Remember how you made me?
God: My son! When are you going to get over that? I told you I am not involved in the making anymore. I'm not a micromanager.
Matt: Yeah, whatever.
God: Just wipe up the tea.
Matt: I can't, because you insist on storing all the cleaning stuff on high shelves.
God: Well, duh! If they were in low cabinets, they would be a hazard when Frieda brought her babies over. They're crawling now, you know?
Matt: Ugh, god!
God; What?
Matt: What? What?
God: You called me.
Matt: Ugh. No, I was taking your name in vain.
God: Yeah, you should not do that.

We would, of course, discuss theological issues, but there would also be light-hearted episodes. God would have no money to pay for the Chinese food, so he'd agree to be my servant, with hilarious and nearly apocalyptic consequences.

Or one night, God and I could be watching some silly romantic comedy, and he'd start saying the male protagonist was doing it all wrong and he'd start bragging about how he knew everything about finding the perfect woman. God agrees to set me up and be my Cyrano, again with hilarious and nearly apocalyptic consequences.

You get the idea. It'll be great.

I need a title for my sitcom. Here are a few options. I am just worried that mention of God in the title will turn off the secular crowd.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to be so far away when you write this stuff, that way the lightning bolts will surely miss me!
mtc

Matt said...

Remember the platypus

Anonymous said...

Man, you crack me up!-- Ellen

Matt said...

Thanks, I just think God and I well deserve prime-time.

Anonymous said...

How about 'Oh my God'?

This was really funny. Imagine the quirky neighbors who eventually get their own spin-offs - the pope? Chrissie Long?

Lol!

Matt said...

I like it, but who is Chrissie Long? She can't have a spinoff if I don't know her.I just thought of a new title: Holy Crap!

jess said...

oh dang, i killed my own punch line - i meant chrissy snow. not sure where the heck i came up with long from.

holy crap gets my vote so far.

or - bring back jimmy walker and drop an 'o' - God times

down the line you could branch out into mob dramas - get joe pesce and ray liotta to do Godfellas - can't you just picture joe pesce saying, 'spider, get me a baptismal water?'

ok, i've officially taken this too far.

Matt said...

Oh, Chrissie Snow. OK. What if Natalie Portman moves in, God and I fall in love because it is Natalie Portman, we compete, he wins, but more hilarity and near apocalypse ensue.

jess said...

As long as there's hilarity and near apocolyptical action. Truthfully, I tend to find most nearly apocolyptical situations hilarious. It's a design flaw - I laugh at the worst possible times.

m said...

The God Couple?

Your character could have a bumper sticker that reads "my other rommate is a jewish carpenter".

Also, you need a whacky next door neighbor. Satan? Buddha?

This really is a great concept, lots of ideas to play with.

Matt said...

Ooh, I like the God Couple. And the neighbors. How can this not have been done before?


Blog Archive