Friday, May 7, 2010

What did you say?

I think all you need to know about my hearing test today is included in this brief conversation after a test in which I tried to discern and repeat a word said into my earphones while background noise was playing:

Audiologist: OK, that was tough.
Me: Did it show?
Audiologist: You got one right.

That's right. My discernment (a cool hearing term) is about 10% in my left ear when there is background noise, which includes other conversations, random noises, internal body sounds, etc. My right hear discerns 30%.

Without background noise it is about 60%, and that does not include ability to read lips or get context, so I survive.

I could get hearing aids, but they amplify sound, not discernment. There is not really anything for someone like me, whose hearing is not good but not awful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole situation is frustrating. Your brother's discernment is even worse. Makes me mad for both of you.
SDT

Anonymous said...

praying for answers in boston
mtc


Blog Archive