Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I fucking hate breast cancer

As a human being, I hate how it attacks all kinds.

As someone who has an unrelated disease, I hate how much money and attention go toward it. You can't shake a stick without hitting some new pink product, a percent of whose proceeds go to fight cancer.  There are pink pistols apparently, pink Ford Mustangs, you name it.

And celebrities? Forget it! They have Alyson Hannigan, Emily Deschanel, Kat McPhee, Minka Kelly and Jaime King. An almost every other celebrity known to humanity. As Friedreich's ataxia falls under the Muscular Dystrophy umbrella, we have Jerry Lewis, who refers to those of us who have neurological disorders as his kids. Oh, and don't let me forget Charo. Not that I am ungrateful.

Mostly, though, I really fucking hate breast cancer because someone I love is now fighting it.

5 comments:

jess said...

Oh, hell. I'm so sorry. And I'm with you. My mom is a survivor. Her mom was not. Thankfully, all of that pink crap has made a huge difference in what the diagnosis means today.

I'll be sending up prayers for strength and comfort for your loved one.

Anonymous said...

Besides the fact that you have made me cry, this is one of your best ever! Keep up the cursing! I love you.
sdt

Matt said...

Thanks, Jess, next to Mom, the person is one of, if not the strongest people I know. So I think she will be OK. But I am not buying a pink pistol.

I'll keep a blue streak going, sdt.

Anonymous said...

Great. Now I can't make my joke about the line of bile-green kitchen appliances in support of esophageal cancer.
JTG

Anonymous said...

you would have loved Tony yesterday in his pink tie! And Argyle socks to match. I told him that if you had seen him yesterday you would have given him a lot of crap!
sdt


Blog Archive