Sunday, July 15, 2012

Slip-sliding away

Last week I went to Target for what is an all-too-regular trip to get my glasses straightened. 

While I was there, I also bought some shorts.

Shorts and pants that feel comfortable when I am sitting tend to slide down when I stand up. So I prefer shorts with elastic bands.

One of the pairs I bought was a pair of athletic shorts. They are made of quite slick material, so I slid a bit on my wheelchair seat. But nothing too bad ... until I went to bed.

It is a quick trip from bathroom to bed so I didn't have my seatbelt on. I bent over to pick up some Claritin that had fallen, and I slid right off the chair.

My head flew into my bed and knocked the mattress a foot off the mattress pad. My face then smacked into the mattress pad, then the floor.

I picked my face far enough off the floor to see if there was a pool of blood. There wasn't. I felt my face and only felt a little liquid, so the next step was getting up.

It was after 11, so I did not want to call Mom and Dad. My sister and family are on vacation.

Fortunately, my shorts allowed me to slide easily, which I did. I got to the pole near my bed, wheeled my chair close to me, then stood up using the pole and got in my chair.

I then went and  checked my face in a mirror. My nose was cut and still hurts a bit.

Luckily, though, I did not mess up my glasses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, No Slippery Clothing! It I have a pair of pants that are even a little slick I am almost out of my chair if I am going around the neighborhood.
sdt


Blog Archive