Saturday, May 29, 2021

Intruder alert

After a month off because of the eye incident, I am having a hard time getting used to the sleep mask again.

The problem, I suspect, is that I am no longer  confident of its value.

For the past 20 months, sleep therapists, technicians and doctors have told me that:

  • I would get used to and even enjoy using the mask, 
  • I would sleep better,
  • I would have more energy,
  • My restless legs would likely improve,
  • And more.

I went along with it. When I was using it regularly, I told them that I “guessed” I had a little more energy and my legs were better.

But in the month without, nothing got worse. Nothing changed except I was able to fall asleep better without having to deal with getting a mask on.

If I believe the sleep machine’s reports, the sleep system does have value. It tells me about the full and partial apneas it encounters  (and I hope prevents) each night, although I think it just dislikes my breathing. When I wear the mask while awake, it reports apneas.

I will keep trying.

I can envision one day being able to wear the mask regularly. I do not believe I will get used to or enjoy this intrusive mask.

No comments:


Blog Archive