Saturday, October 23, 2021

My nephew gets it

One night this week when I couldn’t sleep (it’s been  a regular thing this week sadly),  I was reading a post from the Facebook group “FA’ers only.”Unsurprisingly, it is for just people who have Friedreich’s ataxia (plus a dad of an FA patient who knows everything).

The poster asked the life expectancy of people with FA.

Because it wouldn’t be Facebook without rudeness, someone quickly weighed in that it was an inappropriate question.

What surprised me, though, was the number  of people who wrote in something along the lines of “I don’t have cardiomyopathy or diabetes, ao I expect to live a normal length.”

I don’t have diabetes. My cardiomyopathy is minor and controlled.

But I am sure FA will kill me, and I don’t think that is very pessimistic.

Maybe I’ll choke when drinking. My nephew always asks me if I am OK when he hears mne cough and we’re home alone. 

Maybe I’ll fall.

Perhaps I’ll sneeze when I don’t have a chest strap on.

I can go on and on. That’s my point. Diabetes  and cardiomyopathy are just two on a list of a 

bad things

No comments:


Blog Archive