Saturday, January 20, 2007

The wheelchcair is not for show

One of my problems is that I hide my disability too well. Really, mom! Even with the wheelchair, the service dog and the occasional stitches, people don't get it. More than once, people have assumed that I can overcome my disability just by putting my mind to it. They don't believe me when I say I can't do something.

I tried learning to drive with hand controls a few years ago. My arms are in better shape than my legs, but I am not going to win any video games. Actually, i don't even play them because the controls are too difficult to use. I wasn't much good with hand controls either. I veered into another lane at like 35 mph and totally would have died if any other car was near. Anyway, I told a woman at work I tried to use hand controls and failed. Her response: I am sure you could if you just work a little more.

It happened today with a board I am on. I told everyone I could not do it. I just don't have the energy to take it on. They made a few concessions to me, but I am still vice president. I just don't want to let anyone down.

I don't know if it is because people think I am a slacker who needs to be pushed or maybe Superman. Maybe they think I am just lying about being disabled because of the awesome perks I get by using a wheelchair. I know people just don't think, or don't process what I tell them. They see someone who succeeds at everything, so why not believe I can do more? It's almost a compliment.

What it forces me to do, though, is scream out my limitations. Something everyone loves. I know I love to admit over and over what I can't do.

UPDATE: While I am still VP, several people have assured me I am more honorary and to relax.

Blog Archive