Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beware of dog

Dad will say it was a joint parental decision, but if one polled the kids, I am sure we would say he is why we never had a dog or cat growing up.

After my friend told me her dog died this morning, I am not sure to thank or yell at him.

Her dog was older and had been in and out of vet hospitals for the last few months. When I saw her yesterday, she told me that Simon was really bad and not eating. She and her husband went to the vet today and ended it. She said that it was awful and peaceful at the same time and that they'll really miss him.

I can hardly think straight when I imagine the yellow furball next to me retiring. Claren's death is going to kill me.

Roger Angell talks in his memoir "Let Me Finish" about people who trusted him enough to fall asleep when he was driving. I would not expect anyone to sleep if I was driving, unless they were to pass out from fear, but Claren is the only person to trust me enough to sleep by my side. As long as she can feel my arm or leg, things are OK for her.

I guess it is no different for love in general. My high school has a big fundraiser every year to help find a cure for cystic fibrosis called Superdance. The former principal gives a speech about a family who is the reason behind Superdance. It probably does not change.

He talks about this boy who confided to him that he did not want to get to know one of the girls with CF because she was just going to die and break his heart. The principal told the girl and she said it was the boy's loss. The principal relayed this to the boy, who did become friends with her, and she did die and break his heart. But the boy told the principal it was worth it and spoke at the girl's funeral.

Schmaltz-y, yes. Of questionable veracity, yes. (And would it kill them to dance for me?) But true sentiments, I guess.

Maybe Claren and I will get hit by a bus as we are crossing the street and save us both the pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matty:
Please don't say things like that. Well, I guess it's your blog so you can say anything you want -- but don't, you know, do anything about it. I remember that about 8 months after we got Tully, 18 months after the cancer, 4 months after Martin died, she went for her surgery. I was afraid of what could go wrong and I was aghast that we had willing brought another point of vulnerability into our lives. It seemed so incredibly stupid, but at the same time, it's what we do. We got some bad news yesterday about a dear friend and Jim said that he felt like the Batmobile in the movies -- zup zup, all his armour in place to keep it at bay. Then after he was armoured up, he went to her house, talked her through some things, made some promises, came home to comfort me, and wondered this morning how he could feel so hungover when he hadn't had a drink. It's just sorrow. We can try to trade heartbreak for security, but it doesn't seem to work. So best case: try to praise the mutilated world. or as our mommy says, blessed be God in the dark and in the light.
I love you,
Judy


Blog Archive