Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do they have tea-colored medals?

I am not sure whether to wish the Winter Olympics would end or go on forever. They seem to provide good metaphors for my life.

Today, Bode Miller, a U.S. medal winner already, did not finish the men's downhill race. He had some problems, righted himself, then clipped a gate. He said afterward: "I'm taking more risk than everyone else. ... That's partly why I'm able to get medals. It looks easy when you make it. I did a good job today. I was right there. I was on the edge."

Back to Matt. I also am always right there on the edge: where one little thing upsets the whole apple cart.

I feel like a camel whose back is perpetually in danger of being broken by another straw. If that straw never comes, I go to bed weary and with a sore back but intact. If a straw falls, well, that is bad.

I survived the side trip to the mall to get my glasses straightened, even if the automatic doors didn't work. I survived my wheelchair arm's annoying habit of not closing.

And then I got home and had dinner and was relaxing by watching Lost with a nice cup of tea. Sounds harmless and nice and it was .. until I started coughing and spilling my tea everywhere, even on my laptop, which was sitting nearby. And it was all I could do not to curl up into a fetal position right then and there.

Unlike Bode, though, I take more risk than many others and all it gets me is tea-stained clothes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least it wasn't red wine. Ask your brother. Do you think Joed would lend you his sippy cup? Never mind, it's not risky enough.
sdt

Anonymous said...

Joed has already stolen at least one of Uncle Matt's straw bottles.

xo
ejd

Matt said...

Hmmm. Red wine would stain worse, tea hurts more. I am not sure which is worse.

And Joed took the pink one so I don't mind.


Blog Archive