Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas is a-coming


Without a totally irresponsible but totally awesome action figure shopping spree, this will be the first year in many that I have fewer figures now than I did at the beginning of the year. Not only that, but I think this year may go down in Matt Trott history as the first year in many I have not added any figures to my collection. (Not really, I'll buy something between Christmas and New Year's if need be.)

I am still able to set up a Nativity, though I know there are a few repeats. Mom, my photographer, saved me from a humiliating faux-paus earlier when she saw Plastic Man and said, Wasn't he in last year's? I looked and was horrified to see Plas and Beast were duplicates. I quickly removed them.

The  Big Three are there, though without their Peanuts understudies. Charlie Brown, Lucy and Woodstock are going to work to help me win the festive door/office contest.

Yes, that is Speed Racer and his Mach 5 ready to spirit Jesus away to Egypt and out of the way of Herod. Spritle and Chim-Chim are in the trunk of the Mach 5 to facilitate the Jesus transfer. They also have a picnic basket in case anyone gets hungry. And let's face it: Everything is better with a monkey.

If they decide not to flee toEgypt, Batman will ward off any of Herod's soldiers. I'm not saying he could beat the whole army, but ... This figure also makes me think of a lounge singer, like he is holding a mike and just belting out a tune. So, lullabies are taken care of.

The Humble-Bumble and Yukon Cornelius are not new figures -- my older sister gave them to me years ago -- but this is the first year out of the box. My niece has a nice but totally unsupported  theory on the Bumble. She said he was just mean because he had a toothache and once Hermey pulled his teeth, he was good. A lovely idea, but I believe the Bumble was a bully a la Buddy Hinton. And when he is defanged, like Buddy, he becomes OK.

Santa is another regular but he doesn't quite merit Big Three status.

The Canadian Mountie would help Batman.

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite superheroes, not just because Jennifer Connelly is his girlfriend. And who better to serve as an angel and to go tell it on the mountain.

The Spirit was created by Will Eisner and he wrote wonderful stories. There was a story called like "What's 15 minutes in a man's life?" and it has a clock in each panel. This guy robs his employer, kills him by mistake, flees, sees the Spirit (the Spirit's only appearance), panics and gets killed running away even though the Spirit did not know he did anything. It is way cool.

Mom claims that Baby Jesus would be scared by my Gorilla Grodd knockoff. But the animals in the manger wer super-intelligent animals like Grodd if stories can be believed. Maybe they weren't super-villains like Grodd.

Last but not least is a little wind-up robot, who is in charge of teaching the Lord to dance.

Here are the ones from 2007,  200820092010 and 2011. These posts also have some background. And God must be amused by this because I have not been struck down yet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm! NormalLy I don't comment on old posts from random blogs I come across, but I am scouring the internet with google today about Bumble and his toothache and you mentioning your nieces 'theory' interests me. You know, a LOT of people actually remember Bumble as having a toothache. I've looked at many dozens of sites so far, so many people reference this in google books, comments on blogs, business ads, information about the movie, forum arguments, reviews on amazon, etc.
what they saw was a different version of Rudolph where Bumble had a toothache, and once Hermey helped him out, he became nice. I've a talent for scouring the internet when I want information, and something like this where so many people remember this and casually reference it as common knowledge, and yet it does not exist according to others.. That is too exotic to pass up. the kind of thing I love, interesting weird hidden things and getting the truth out

So yeah, don't think your nieces theory was wrong just yet. though I strangely can't find it, which compounds the weirdness factor up to a 9 in my personal record of weird things. some people remember it that way, and references to this are everywhere, but it never existed according to others? it's a mystery!


Blog Archive