Thursday, September 14, 2017

Back to (grad) school

I spent this afternoon talking to physical therapy grad students and doing things for their teacher to talk about. It was fun.

My PT is one of the teachers in the class, although she wasn't there. The students who help me are in the class, too, so I feel some allegiance to this school, and as I told the main teacher< the more people who know about Friedreich's ataxia the better for me.

I was there with a friend of the teacher's who had a spinal cord injury. We told our stories, so I gave a real abbreviated history. Then we transferred to mats, and we did stuff -- like roll onto our side or stomach -- or another teacher did stuff -- like moving us.

It was interesting to hear things, and they were pretty spot on. One student mentioned how fast my transfer to the mat was compared to the other guy's methodical pace. ("My chair is faster," the other guy replied, which we had talked about -- his goes 12 mph; mine tops out about 5.) The teacher then suggested that Matt's body is probably not very predictable, so I try to move fast and get back to solid ground. I agreed.

Fame, of course, was the star. She did "foot" and "plate" and a few gets. The only problem was she was showing off/playing when getting my phone. She activated my phone, opened the phone app and called one of my aunts. I hung up as fast as I could.

But they all liked us. And I didn't even have to do the Triple Lindy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, On behalf of our PT class thank you for yesterday! We are still discussing you guys and your "stripper pole" and the need for distal stability and a need to lock in to get total control for your movements. Thank you for taking the time out of your day and taking off from work to come meet us all. It was very memorable and gives us much more context.

Matt said...

My pleasure, and we call it a stripper pole too

Unknown said...

Your Triple Lindy kicker made my day! And the idea of a class learning the dynamics this way is fascinating and a cool way to learn. No better person to explain the complexities.

Matt said...

the only problem is the class read my blog out loud and no one got the reference. Whippersnappers!

Unknown said...

I blame the decentralization TV and the demise of running across old movies on Saturday afternoons.

Anonymous said...

who was the SCI rep? Love "stripper pole!"
sdt


Blog Archive