Sunday, April 29, 2018

Only kindness

I have had a disability for eons now, or at least it seems that. And in that time, I have used my strength and masculine wiles, and kindness, to survive.

The first time I can recall really losing my balance on stairs was in college. I grabbed the guys next to me. He looked moderately horrified that I touched him, but whatever, I didn't fall.

 At college graduation, three friends helped/carried me down the flight of steps graduates walked down.

In grad school, I evacuated from my room during a fire emergency. My room was on the 15th floor or something, so there were steps involved. I remember gripping the railing tightly.

I walked to and from classes every day, sometimes in heavy snow. One day after school, a gal I knew casually from the dorm said to me: We should walk home together and help each other. I did little helping.

Toward the end of my first job, I began using a chair at work. I got a key to the elevator to get to the second floor, but there were other steps. The bathroom was up a step, so I walked in. The vending machines were down a long hall, up there steps, then down another long hall. No problem. I wheeled down the first hall, got up, pulled my chair up the steps, got back in, and wheeled down to get my Coke.

 My disability now is too much for my strength, My wiles are of little help. All I have left is kindness.

No comments:


Blog Archive