Sunday, January 16, 2022

Thank you, Sid Meier’s Pirates

 My favorite computer game, Sid Meier’s Pirates, continues to pay dividends years after I first played it on the Commodore 64.  Lately, it has been helping me get up the driveway when my battery is running out, which these days is pretty much always.

Sailing west on the Spanish Main is slow going, at least in Pirates. The wind blows  west to east in the game, so you often need to sail into the wind, especially if you make your home in Barbados.

It’s still slow but tacking helps you sail into the wind. With the wind from the west, you sail on a diagonal, first north then south.

For my driveway, which is too  steep for my crappy chair and battery, I don’t head  straight up. I left or right and just a little up.

It too is slow, but it works.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Not sure if I told you or not, but I got Pirate's for the PC back in 2010. I haven't played it in quite a while! It's on one of my old laptops. It's not bad as I recall.

Matt said...

I had that too!


Blog Archive