Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Or not

 For Christmas, the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance sent me an ornament that is hanging above my desk. Actually, it was because I sent it a donation, I suppose.

It reads, “Together, we will cure FA! FARA”

Sadly, I no longer believe in a cure, for me at least.

On one of my last walks of 2021, I thought to myself, “Wow, if someone had told me a year ago the pandemic would still be around in the United States, I’d have been pretty surprised.” But then I thought, “If someone told me after my diagnosis 25 years ago there  isn’t even a treatment let alone a cure, I’d have been shocked.”

I remember talking to a genetics counselor after my diagnosis, and we decided that since my disease now had a name, they would know what to cure. 

Apparently not.

No comments:


Blog Archive