Saturday, May 7, 2022

'Comfort and convenience'

I do not think it will come as a surprise when I say I am not a big fan of insurance companies. The latest denial, for a power chair that was supposed to be more palatable to them explains why.

First, it says that because of my diagnosis, Friedreich's ataxia, several options I need are really just for “comfort and convenience.” They lost me right there. Absolutely nothing in my life involving Friedreich's ataxia or wheelchairs is about “comfort and convenience.” Sure, if doing my job is “comfort and convenience” or maybe sitting properly in my chair is.

It gets worse.

“We were told,” presumably by my doctor and physical therapist, “that you met the criteria” for these options. Apparently, the professionals who deal with me don’t know anything. The knowledgeable ones can make qualified decisions based only on paper. Wow.

No comments:


Blog Archive