Saturday, December 30, 2023

Say what?

I do not hear very well, so I was more or less resigned to not hearing most of the conversation when five of my friends from college came over last night.

I was right. It wasn't until this morning that I learned that the wife of one of the people had gone to the same college my niece goes to now. My sister, who was in another room, told me that story and a few others that she overheard.

What I didn't really realize was that I have developed a trait to understand conversation, and my friend standing next to me was not really ready for it.

When someone says something to me that I don't understand, my first reaction is to time to the person next to me. If it is my or my sister, for instance, they know what I am doing and they translate for me.

My friend, unfortunately, did not know the deal, although she rallied once I said something like, " I didn't hear that."

All in all, it was great fun to see people, some of whom I hadn't seen for years. I do wish I heard more of the stories.

Thank you, Friedreich's ataxia.

No comments:


Blog Archive