Monday, November 5, 2007

Friedreich’s ataxia is a jealous bitch

I spent the morning thinking about crude oil, Pakistan, the Redskins, fantasy football (I won!), Natalie Portman (she is my desktop background), horseback riding and why the hot water flows through the bathtub faucet fine but not the shower.

In short, nothing about my goddamn genetic disease.

I don’t think it liked that. As I was getting into the shower, my right leg went in fine. My pants and shorts would not slide off my left foot, though. I bent my right leg so I could unhook my foot, and my leg gave out on me completely.

I was holding the grab bars so I did not fall, but I could not get to a place I could sit comfortably. Finally, I managed to wedge myself onto the tub side, although my rear still hasn’t quite forgiven me. From there, I got all in the shower. The pants had fallen off my foot in the struggle.

I am going to a physical therapist tomorrow, and I will talk to her about my legs. They seem to be losing strength and coordination, even what little I have.

I think I often write about this being the worst thing about FA or that being the worst thing.

The scariest thing, at least now, is watching your body disintegrate in front of your eyes and not being able to do a damn thing.

No comments:


Blog Archive