Friday, February 1, 2008

Out on the street

I am planning to live with one of my greatest childhood enemies: my little sister. And I am terrified.

I don't think she will beat me up, like she could. And her husband is great, even if he has X-Men #1 and didn't even know it was valuable until he saw my original X-Men toy set and was like: "Oh yeah, I have that comic." He hasn't even told me what other comics he has.

Her children are hilariously wonderful. They were referring to me as "w Honky" on the ride home from work last night. I am sure it was a term of endearment because my wheelchair beeps, not a slur because I am really white.

It isn't them at all.

We are just starting to plan design of a house with an in-law suite for me. It'll be such fun to live with a family. But what if we forget something, like the door to the bathroom or put the windows up high or some silly thing?

Or what if my good credit is not good enough and I ruin everything and we are all left homeless?

I know a new house won't solve all of my many problems, but what if it is not perfect? And it's my fault.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wemberly? Is that you? i wrote an essay once about liminal space -- those doorways you wrote about a few posts ago. everyone agrees that thresholds are among the scariest places to be, a place where, as one book has it, "hope and fear collide." think of your good friend Bruce and his leap of faith. can't tell your courage from your desparation? that quickening in your heart isn't necessarily panic. it could be hope.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

Pretty sure it is panic ... or pissed-off-ness.


Blog Archive