Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sweet dreams aren't made of doggie diarrhea

On Friday night, I dreamed I was Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and I seemed to be stocking shelves in a drugstore. This did not strike me as weird.

I was also saying goodbye to Makhtar Ndiaye, a former University of North Carolina basketball player. He was telling me of his plan to transfer to a military academy to finish school. Again, it did not strike me as odd that a player for the arch-rival Tar Heels was telling me, the Duke coach, he was transferring.

I then noticed something that did seem out of place -- a smell.

I woke up and realized Claren had had diarrhea. Not that I could see it but I knew it was there.

I called Mom on the phone and she came down and found the main one. I then found several smaller ones.

After Mom cleaned it up, I gave Claren a pill to settle her stomach and sat with Claren in the family room where she quickly had more issues passing the pill and more stuff for good measure.

Once again Mom cleaned it up and I sat back on the couch and dozed till 9 Saturday morning. About 10, Claren had another bout, this time with blood.

The wonderful people at VCA Herndon-Reston Animal Hospital scheduled us for an appointment at 2 on Saturday, the time they close, according to the website. We were there a good two hours as they did some X-rays and other stuff to try to find the source of the bleeding. In the end, there seemed to be nothing real bad, so we went home with orders for no food till today.

Oh and as soon as they brought Claren into the waiting room she had massive diarrhea on the floor there.

When we were leaving I apologized to one of the staff members for making them so late.

She brushed it off and said, We just want Claren to feel better.

Could you ask for a better vet?

Claren is better. I am still sleeping in the family room but we have been D-free for a little more than 24 hours. And she is so much more active.

I am going to the vet tomorrow for a quick recheck, but I am not too worried about having my dreams interrupted again.

No comments:


Blog Archive