Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Inner dialogue

I fell over the arm of my chair and really hurt my lower rib.

Oh, that's awful. Maybe you shouldn't use it for a while, stay off it, so to speak?

Good idea, well, except I use a wheelchair and have no balance, so every move I make hurts.

Oh, stay in bed then.

 That might work, if I didn't cough or breathe.

OK, ice then. Ice will help you feel better.

You know what, you're right. If only I could keep the ice on the bad spot.

That's easy. Use your harness. That'll hold the ice in place and you.

Good point, but ...

Geez, what now?

Well, if I have to go to the bathroom, I'll use a urinal but I still might run into issues. And if pee splashed, say, on the floor, I might not be able to clean it up seeing as I am harnessed in.

What are the chances that'll happen?

Pretty good. I'd say 100%.

Well, look: You're the one with Friedreich's ataxia. You have been in a wheelchair for almost 20 years. You know you're screwed if you have two or more problems like sore ribs and  a wheelchair. We just can't handle it.

That's what I was afraid of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, you can!


Blog Archive