Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanks

Here is a fun Thanksgiving riddle for you: How long does it take someone in a wheelchair, stuck in the grass next to a sidewalk of a main thoroughfare, to flag down help?

I don't actually know because I didn't look at my watch when I got stuck today, but I got home 25 minutes later than expected.

I have run off the sidewalk  or path recently more than I used to. I would like to blame the chair, but it could well be the latest awesome feature of Friedreich's ataxia. I am so lucky!

When this happened, I just sat there, confident someone would stop. Then I started delicately waving, just flicking my wrist. Then I started flailing my arm that wasn't holding Fame's leash. I was right at a stoplight, so  I am confident people saw me.

After a while, this SUV in the far lane seemed to see me, and they must have come back to help me because I did not see them turn but then there they were.

A young couple got out and asked what they could do. The woman asked how long I was stuck there. Too long, I said.

Happy Thanksgiving, she said. It is now,  I told her. Go get warm, the guy said. It was really cold.

So I went home and got warm. My sister cleaned my wheels as I tried without success to think about her and the couple that stopped, not the  #@#$s who drove by.

No comments:


Blog Archive