Wednesday, December 5, 2018

In defense of wheelchairs

Gram loved my wheelchair. She thought it was freeing and enabling.

For me.

She had no interest in using one herself. She didn't need it. Except she really did.

I thought of this when I saw the photo of Bob Dole being held up so he could stand and salute President Bush's coffin.

Granted, Dole at least used one, but in his mind it is better to be manhandled into a standing position, so he can salute than saluting from a chair.

And it wasn't just him. Emotional, read the headlines, stirring.

I hate my chair. I'd love to discard it but not unless it is unneeded.

It actually was emotional for me. I wanted to cry because someone was all to eager to shed a wheelchair, and this society thought it was stirring.

No comments:


Blog Archive