Monday, April 8, 2024

Bidet blues

 My sister almost got my call at work today asking her to go home and help her brother, me, off the bathroom floor. 

I was home alone with the dogs, and I went to the bathroom. The bidet seat does not sit very tightly to the toilet. Or perhaps it does for normal use, but when people have Friedreich’s ataxia, nothing is normal.

It came quite loose, which I noticed when I was getting ready to pull up my pants. I decided I better get up cautiously and probably not try and sit back down on the loose seat. 

I pulled up my pants while standing, and  then  I moved the lift with me in a standing position a little off the toilet.

My plan was to lower lift so I’d be on the floor. I could then recover  and put the lift leg braces on. But things didn't work out right, at least not at first. My legs stayed under me the entire time, so when I lowered down like I was kneeling and couldn't put the leg braces on.

So I raised the lift quite high so I was standing on my tiptoes   and then lowered it, keeping my legs in front of me. 

That worked. I was able get completely down with my legs jin front and then put the leg braces under my legs and then I was able to raise up and get to my wheelchair. No problem.

No comments:


Blog Archive