Thursday, January 3, 2019

Above and beyond the call

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago.

The office is on the second floor of a five-story building, but I always forget the floor.

As I went in to the building, a woman said, "Can I get that door for you?"

I told her no, that I was going to the elevator.

Then she said something else. I didn't hear it, but figured it was just "Have a nice day" or something and just nodded.

But when she started to get up, I realized she asked if I needed help with the door on the floor I was headed to.

When what she said registered, I told her I was fine. She just ignored that.

On the way in, I thought the office was on the second or third floor. but my new-found helper flustered me, and I skipped two to try three.

Then four.

Then five.

Then two.

I kept apologizing and telling her she could leave.

She kept saying it was fine.

I wanted to be alone with my stupidity.

No comments:


Blog Archive