Monday, December 21, 2020

Christmas miracles





What, you are no doubt thinking, is a snowman doing in the Nativity in Bethlehem? Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Sure. But a snowman? I think not.

This is a special snowman. He not only spent years at the nation’s newspaper, so reminds me of my heady days there, but also is made of Christmas snow, which as we learned in Frosty the Snowman, turns into snow whenever a “December wind kisses it.” Santa never says it has to be a cold December wind.

Incidentally, Frosty lives for others, sacrifices himself and is born again, a very appropriate theme for Christmas.

Moving from right to left, VenomFang was a bad dragon. He laid waste to the hometown of my Dungeons & Dragons character, Bud the human fighter, in a campaign by a nephew. He got his comeuppance, though. My brother, several nieces and I “whacked it in two and fixed its wagon.” One of those nieces made me a little VenomFang.

When my siblings and I were young, we had Breakfast Buddies, these little Winnie the Pooh figures that went on a spoon to keep you company as you ate your cereal. I don’t actually remember using them that much, but I use the 21st century version that my nephew gave me all the time. Spider-Man sits on my computer monitor.

Also, like Frosty, Spidey sacrifices himself and is reborn. Actually, most of the superheroes in the Nativity are.

Rocket Raccoon is not one of them. At least as far as I know. I have not read a ton of Guardians of the Galaxy. He is just around to shoot up any bad guys.

Groot (well, Baby Groot here) is. Another gift from my niece, Groot will fit in in a manger. He’d probably enjoy being a shepherd.

Daredevil is another martyr. But I thought the story was so dumb, I stopped reading the book for a while. As a HeroClix figure, he is small but mighty.

Then you have Santa and the Big Three.

In the Nativity, there needs to be someone in a wheelchair. You can never wrong with Professor X. Like Rocket I am not aware of any martyrdom, but he has died a lot. I havae just not read enough X-men. With Cerebro, he could let could let everyone everywhere know about the birth, no need for the lucky few to hear angels on high.

Then there’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a true martyr. She’ll fight of any forces of darkness the Big Three face — Herod, I’m looking at you.

Blog Archive