Tuesday, December 15, 2020

It's a responsibility-free life

I love It's a Wonderful Life.

Jimmy Stewart's great. Donna Reed is almost as awesome as Buffy. And the theme "no man is a failure who has friends!" How can you not get chills when all his friends show up and start giving George money? I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

But ....

I love it despite its flaws, chief among them is that without George everyone is a massive jerk. What happened to personal responsibility?

  • Mary becomes an old maid, which would never happen because she is Donna Reed.
  • Violet seems to have become a prostitute.
  • Bert the cop? Gun-happy a$$.
  • Ernie's wife leaves him.
  • Gower goes to prison -- OK.
  • I accept that Harry dies without George, but every man on the transport? Did the military not put another pilot in Harry's place?
  • Why can no one besides George stand up to Potter? But OK, maybe everyone lost all their money in the Depression except Potter.
My biggest problem is Nick the bartender. He seems to be running a mob bar, threatens customers with physical harm and becomes evil.

One person should not be the catalyst for so many people just not being jerks.

Now that I got that off my chest, you know what I am watching now.

No comments:


Blog Archive