Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Boss and I don't see eye to eye

One of my hopes for next year is a rapprochement b between me and Bruce Springsteen.

It’s not like we’re enemies. That would require him to know I exist. 

And it’s not like I am finding his music suddenly jarring. It is still awesome.

He has just made some choices I don’t care for.

It started his Super Bowl ad. Yes, it was about unity. It was still for an automaker.

The bigger problem involved the opening lyrics to Thunder Road.

A kerfuffle erupted online this summer about whether it was “The screen door slams, Mary’s dress sways” or “The screen door slams, Mary’s dress waves.”

Apparently, it is nothing new.

But this time a New Yorker writer reached Springsteen’s manager who said it has always been “sways.”

So they’ve been lying to fans for 40-some years, because the lyrics with the album, CD, on his website and in his official book of lyrics. The website has been changed. Presumably, the others will in future printings.

He still lied to fans.

The  rapprochement might take a while.

 

No comments:


Blog Archive