Saturday, February 3, 2024

Matty unplugged

I may be in the minority of people in wheelchairs who wear the seatbelt tightly.

It’s not that I find it particularly comfortable. My old physical therapist just hammered it into me that a seatbelt is not just to protect you from accidents , it is also needed to keep you sitting in the right place.  
I used the urinal the other day and slid back in my chair to get back to work. I automatically reached down to tighten the seatbelt. Only instead of pulling the seatbelt, I wound up pulling a cord and disconnecting my chair. 
I tried multiple times to reconnect it but wound up having to call mom. My Friedreich's ataxia laden body was not up to the task. Shocking, I know. 
What, you may ask , was a cord down where it's so easily unplugged? Good question. 
 The other day a wheelchair technician came over to install some new armrests. He pointed out that wheelchair companies tend not to fix things they don't have to. So even my Cadillac of power wheelchairs , which I love still , leaves a lot to be desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable about the cord for the armrests. Wheelchairs never cease to amaze. And not in a good way.
sdt


Blog Archive