Saturday, May 12, 2018

The boy who keeps my head safe

When I went to my old office three or so years ago, a friend asked how my living situation was going. Great, I told her, I really liked having my niece and nephew around.

She asked how old they were, and hearing they were nearing teen status, said, Well, enjoy it now. The assumption was they would become jerks once they hit their teens.

I wasn't worried this would happen, of course, and it hasn't. They both remain great.

Just a few days ago, I was putting my feet on the footplate. My left shoe hooked the side of the plate and fell off.

At that point, I heard someone come in, but when I looked, I saw no one but the house dog. I asked him who had come in. Not that I expected an answer, the house dog is not too bright.

My nephew, though, must have heard and wandered over to my door to wave.

I asked him to put my shoe on. On me, although he wears the same shoe size as me.

He replied the same way he does when I ask for his help with anything, "sure." And then he put it back on me.

Around my room, I have a chair rail. It has sharp corners.

One of the first thing we did was put foam covers on all the corners.

Whenever I look at them, I think of the 6-year-old boy who helped his mom put them on. He tested them by pressing his head into them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That all sounds just like him!
Xo
Metc


Blog Archive