Saturday, July 7, 2018

You had to go there, A.J Jacobs

Of all the authors I have read, A.J. Jacobs strikes me as the one I am most likely too be friends with.

He writes like I wish I could. He makes jokes that I find hilarious. He seems like a good guy. Plus, I have a crush on his wife, which might cause some friendship friction.

I'd love to be friends with Sarah Vowell, but I suspect she is too quirky cool for me.

In an interview with Reynolds Price (another writer I'd like to be friends with, but his death limits this), Mom mentioned something from Annie Dillard about how we'd wear hard hats when praying if we knew what was going on. I love Anne Lamott; she is insightful, funny, honest, etc. Birsut I'll be honest, I'd want a hard hat if I was going to be her friend.

That is mostly it for nonfiction on writers I read regularly.

I'd love to befriends with Lloyd Alexander or J.R.R. Tolkien, but they're dead. And while Neil Gaiman and Michael Chabon are my heroes, I am not sure I know enough about them to want to be friends. (Who am I kidding? They would be awesome.)

Anyhow, it all works out because in his latest book, It's All Relative, A.J. -- it's cool to call him by his first name, we're pals -- tells how we are all related, so of course we'd be friends. Everyone loves his relatives, right? (Note to Julie Jacobs: I am probably not as closely related as you and A.J.)

The book, as usual, is quite funny and fun. He decides to throw a family reunion, and I believe the only requirement is you be a person. I think he decided against inviting animals but am not postitive.

One of his reasons for throwing it is to balance out his karma. Weighing against him, he says, is something that, if we weren't related, would cause me to unfriend him. Weighing against him, he says, is his use of wheelchair bathrooms.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

This has been a thorn in my side ever since I been to use wheelchairs.

Whether it is largos people who want extra space, people changing clothes or tall people who like the fit of the raised toilet, if you can walk without aids, do not use the accessible stall.

My relative  and I are going to have words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We like all the same writers! Who’d have thought? Xxoo
Metc


Blog Archive