Saturday, June 7, 2008

I had fun, even though I didn't hear a lot

I am torn: Do I talk about my shower this morning, the first in my parents' new accessible shower, or about my reunion later in the day? Probably both, I guess, and I'll go in chronological order.

It took me a bit to figure how to get hot water. You pull the handle out to turn it on, and twist it to set the water temperature. It was fine then. There are adjustments we need to make, like everything else in life, but it will be fine.

I rode with a friend of mine from school. She is like the sister I never had, you know, nice to me. (KIDDING!) I did tell her it is pretty awesome to have a non-relative put up with me and even seem to enjoy it.

We wound up just going for a reunion at the college newspaper where we both worked. Not surprising, all but a handful of my friends were paper people. I had to get a recommendation once from someone outside the paper who knew me. I could think of no one. Finally, my roommate got a friend of his who I did at least know to write one punching up my thoughtfulness.

It was nice to see the group that came, some of whom I had not seen in 15 years. They are kind people, all of them. It certainly wasn't easy. The worst thing is to be in a group conversation or try to be, when in a wheelchair. I can crane my neck to join, but my neck does not stretch far. And I still can't hear. I just get a sore neck. And even when I am craning, I am still staring into guys' and gals' chests. I don't want to beat up own reunion.

But I won't dwell on that now; instead I will just say I am lucky to know these people.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you went.
JTG

Anonymous said...

Me too
mtc

Matt said...

and no comments about "the sister I never had" comment. Huh? True, I guess.

Anonymous said...

do you really want to call down the thunder like that my brother????

Anonymous said...

The sister you never had? you mean she was mean to you, didn't stand up for you, didn't make you a bitchin cowboy shirt when you were six, didn't walk you to school everyday, didn't make you a teddy bear swimming pool cake?
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

Yeah, she also did not make me wear a black armband when one her stuffed animals fell apart or encourage jumping off the couch on to my knees.

Anonymous said...

who made you wear the black armband???

Matt said...

Jolly Joe's death apparently hit Richmond hard.


Blog Archive