Saturday, December 7, 2019

Torn

Normally, I ride on the street on my way to and from the bike trail. It is only a block. A lane reserved for parking is mostly empty. The sidewalk is narrow and very uneven, and has very steep curb cuts and a utility pole in the center.

The city knows about some of these issues. I documented them for a reporter about four years ago.

I was heading home earlier today, having left the trail and turned right, and this car stops on the other side of the street. I see a woman running across the street toward me, and I wonder what's up.

She asks something I didn't hear, then again asks if I was trying to get to the trail.

I tell her no, and she says, oh, because I saw it was closed off. Actually, just a trail detour was closed, but I didn't say anything.

Then she says, so are you just going to go back the other way on the trail?

Again, I say no, and I add, I am going home.

Where is your house? she asks.

I point and say, up there, then because I realize what is happening, I say, I'm fine.

She asks, you're OK? and gives a OK signal, then leaves when I nod.

I dearly love the tendency of certain human beings to help one another. I hate that people in a wheelchair are assumed, with no evidence, to be mentally disabled.

No comments:


Blog Archive