Monday, December 23, 2019

An early Nativity


When I was a child, we decorated the house for Christmas on Christmas Eve. As I understand it, one grandfather decorated the tree while my grandmother and kids were at midnight Mass. So by ancestral standards, this Nativity is early.

It was not a bad year for action figures. I got three new ones, which doesn't sound like many until you
consider that I have no more room in my room for toys. I also  reclaimed a few old toys.

There is the Big Three, plus Santa, who is wielding his walking stick like a club.

Starting on the far right is Buffy the Vampire Slayer because what is Christmas without the Chosen  One? A slayer is born in every generation, so of course a slayer would be around the Nativity, ensuring the other Chosen One a birth uninterrupted by the forces of darkness. She might not have Buffy's impeccable fashion sense, but ...

Next up is one of the new ones, courtesy of a brother-in-law. He had sent me a photo of some figures of my youth.  I told him that I had always wanted Aquaman, and a week later Aquaman was waiting outside my door. It isn't an original -- my brother-in-law is not made of money. Black Manta (third from left), Aquaman's archenemy, came a few days later after my brother-in-law asked for a compelling stance when I displayed Aquaman in my room. I told him that I'd need Black Manta for  a compelling stance. This was not a shameless grab for another figure. I was just trying to get out of making a scene. But when Black Manta got here, there was nothing to do but create one.

At first glance, Aquaman might seem like a fish out of water in Bethlehem. He is. But if they flee to the Mediterranean Sea, he'll be great aid.

Black Manta is pretty evil (at least by early origin stories), so he is there for redemption.

The third new figure, Green Lantern, isn't there. He is still "Mint on Card." Not that it is worth something, I just like the card.

Aquaman may not fit in Bethlehem, but he does tie some of the Nativity figures together. He came with green gloves, or oven mitts. But my cleaners vacuumed up one glove. They also lost Jay Garrick's  Flash helmet (Jay is between Aquaman and Black Manta, next to a nearly invisible Space Ghost, who is doing his talk show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, live on location, bringing needed attention to the birth. Think Herod would have tried anything with cameras rolling?). Stephen Hawking from The Simpsons (in front of Black Manta) is missing his glasses, but if he is like me, he is thrilled.

In the defense of the cleaners, my room would have tumbleweeds without them.

Batman is brooding there in the back, probably wondering when someone he can hit will show up.

Next to Stephen Hawking is a Playmobil knight from the old days.

Finally, an M&M  Luke Skywalker in honor of the latest Star Wars movie. He reminds me of Claren because she bit off his hand. Unfortunately, it was the wrong hand.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:


Blog Archive