Sunday, January 21, 2024

Untracked

When I worked at a newspaper in North Carolina, I was young and idealistic, thinking I could change things. One of those things was the sports staff's regular use of the word untracked in the sense of “ the baseball player finally got untracked, hitting back to back home runs. “

Untracked really means the opposite, I told multiple people. I used the example of a train. If it were to get untracked, people would perhaps die as it went off the rails. 

They generally agreed with me but said it's just used differently in sports. So I gave up, not my last losing effort.

I was thinking of this today because I find that I get untracked in the correct sense of the word very easily.

I plan out what I want to accomplish that day or that afternoon, but if something happens, usually related to Friedreich's ataxia, I find myself just spending the afternoon playing a computer game or reading or whatever, not doing what I had planned.

If I did not have Friedreich's ataxia, maybe I could use it in the incorrect sports way about me. Because if I did not and Friedreich's ataxia, I could play sports.

No comments:


Blog Archive