Sunday, September 30, 2018

Not anatomically impossible. Sorry, Rookie

When we were young, we played baseball in Gram's field. It was plenty big until someone (maybe Carlos) bashed a homer that sailed into the driveway. Then Dad made us switch to softball.

One of the regular participants was Rookie, the older brother of one of my brother's friends. I was the younger brother of one of his brother's friends.

One day, while on second base, Rookie accused one of the defenders of spitting on him.

He was not believed, and somehow it eventually came to be a joke that he had somehow peed on his own back. Yes, that was anatomically impossible, but we were little boys who found it hilarious.

I started thinking of the incident earlier this week after peeing on my back. Granted, I was lying down, not standing at second base, but still.

It began innocently enough. I woke up to go to the bathroom, but when I moved my legs to use urinal, the leg fell off the bed.

This was fine til midway through the, hum, emptying of the bladder.

At that point, the foot that was dangling off the bed, touched my cold chair.

With the speed of a pinch runner stealing third, the leg shot straight up, upsetting my use of the urinal. Pee shot everywhere, even my back.

With my sister's help, I changed everything and got in my wheelchair for the rest of the night.

On my own, I began thinking of Rookie.

No comments:


Blog Archive